Thursday 1 October 2009

The Indi Project, Kenya




In March of this year I was fortunate enough to have a holiday in Kenya. The first part of the holiday was spent at Tsavo East Game Park and we were extremely lucky to see so many different kinds of animals and birds, including my personal favourite, the cheetah. I even managed to take some photos that I am rather pleased with  - see above!

The second part of the holiday was spent in Mombasa where the contrast between those who have money and those who have very little (and often live in makeshift shelters by the roadside) was very great.

I felt I really connected with Kenya the country and with the Kenyan people that I met – they are friendly, kind and open. And yes, I know that there is widespread corruption in many countries in Africa, not least Kenya, and it would have been easy to come home feeling that there was nothing that I, as an individual, can do about the poverty.

However, not long after I got back, I read an article in a Sunday newspaper supplement about a lady named
Julie Perry who lives here in the UK. Julie won the award of “Clarins Most Dynamisante woman of the year 2009“ for her work in setting up a school in Kenya to help orphaned and disadvantaged children to move out of poverty by promoting education, health and nutrition.  She is tireless in her efforts and does this wonderful work without payment, the project being entirely supported through fund raising.

I have chosen to support this worthwhile charityin the knowledge that all money raised is used directly for the benefit of the children. So if you would like to know more – and maybe even make a donation - then please visit the Indi Project website at: http://www.indinurseryproject.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment